+ Reply to thread

Thread: It's Pancake Day

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default It's Pancake Day

Yes, it's Shrove Tuesday aka Pancake Day.

The simple recipes are the best.

And what are your favourite toppings?

I mean Lemon Juice and Sugar are great, but Southern Comfort adds a great kick to the batter if you cook it straight away.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I love the basic sugar and lemon but today for the laugh I'm gonna go all out and get some ice cream and chocolate sauce or maybe chocolate ice cream for them. Nutella is another popular one.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Could you explain why it is Pancake day and even the Shrove Tuesday tie-in?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, around here the Fat Tuesday delicacy is the pączki (normally pronounced "paunch-key" or "poonch-key", which I assume are probably not correct), which are deep-fried Polish doughnuts that are then glazed or covered with sugar. I don't know if they're eaten in the rest of the country but grocery stores and bakeries in Michigan sell them on Fat Tuesday and for a couple weeks leading up to it. My impression is they were popularized here because of Michigan's fairly large population of people of Polish descent.
    Last edited by Exy; 16 Feb 2010 at 11:02 AM.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    Yeah, around here the Fat Tuesday delicacy is the pączki (around here, typically pronounced "paunch-key" or "poonch-key"), which are deep-fried Polish doughnuts that are then glazed or covered with sugar. I don't know if they're eaten in the rest of the country but grocery stores and bakeries in Michigan sell them on Fat Tuesday and for a couple weeks leading up to it. My impression is they were popularized here because of Michigan's fairly large population of people of Polish descent.
    Sounds similar to the Beignets of New Orleans. In fact New Orleans and Mardi Gras are my associations with Fat Tuesday. I don't know of any major NYC or NJ traditions for Fat Tuesday.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My French friend made some doughnuts for today. Sounds similar to the Polish yokey.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, around here the Fat Tuesday delicacy is the pączki (normally pronounced "paunch-key" or "poonch-key", which I assume are probably not correct), which are deep-fried Polish doughnuts that are then glazed or covered with sugar. I don't know if they're eaten in the rest of the country but grocery stores and bakeries in Michigan sell them on Fat Tuesday and for a couple weeks leading up to it. My impression is they were popularized here because of Michigan's fairly large population of people of Polish descent.
    Yeah, here in Chicago, paczki are the delicacy of the day, as well. Lots and lots of Polish here, although I have to say I don't remember paczkis being a well-known thing when I was a kid; the tradition seems to have gained in popularity over the last 10-15 years. They are super yummy.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, I miss pączki ...

Registered
    Feb 2010

Pancake Day is illogical.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

So's your face.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This morning I tried making Dutch-style pancakes (not the "dutch baby" puffy kind but the flat thin ones) with ham and cheese and they were brilliant. Mmm.

+ Reply to thread