+ Reply to thread

Thread: ST:TOS; The Devil in the Dark

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default ST:TOS; The Devil in the Dark

Shatner's favorite episode. One of mine as well. Sad to think that during the filming of this, Shatner's father died suddenly in Florida.

Tightly plotted, good social commentary, some humor. But I will say that boy, o boy, were "special effects" primitive back then. The Horta looks like an area rug with melted plastic on it (because that is probably what it is!). As good as the writing and acting (and directing) is, one has to wonder how much better the show could have been if it had ever been given the budget it deserved. Yeah, yeah, hindsight is 20/20 and it never had the ratings etc, but still...

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I love this Ep, I should be getting the Disc on Wednesday and plan to re-watch and comment. I believe this has the best of all of McCoy's lines. "I'm a Doctor, not a brick-layer." Also a meta-joke near the end that was close to: "I cured it, I'm so good I believe I could cure a rainy day." There was a lot of good humorous lines in fact. Another was Kirk complimenting Spock on being more and more human and Spock replies, "I don't need to stand here and be insulted". (or something close to that.)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yep, their interplay is a major reason I am so fond of this show.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This is a really, really good episode. The big twist part way through that the Horta was just defending her young against an alien invasion was pretty progressive for the time -- the thought that, hey! maybe we're sticking our nose somewhere it doesn't belong was rather radical thinking for us humans who have made a habit historically of just showing up and taking over.

"I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"
    "You're a healer, there's a patient!"

Plenty of great dialogue exchanges in this one and excellent character interplay. And who can forget the "NO KILL I" written by the Horta. Turning something that completely alien (even if the special effects were awful and it does look like a throw-rug) into a sympathetic creature was an impressive feat.
    Hell is other people.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by dread pirate jimbo View post
    Turning something that completely alien (even if the special effects were awful and it does look like a throw-rug) into a sympathetic creature was an impressive feat.
    I thought it looked more like a giant hunk of pizza.

(And hey! There's finally an episode I specifically remember watching, because it's the one with the giant pizza-monster!)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Jimbo--that is my favorite bit of interplay. "you're a healer; there's a pt!"

I also love the joke that Shatner played on Nemoy. He came back from his father's funeral to find that Nemoy had filmed the bit about his "mind meld" with the Horta (not the part where Spock touches the Horta but the other bit). Nemoy fills him in on what he said, "I said Pain a few times." Shatner said "well, lemme see it. Nemoy complies, but keeps it low-key. Shatner says, "not sure I'm getting it, Len--do it, really do it." So Nemoy goes into this whole big "PAIN!" bit, giving it all he's got in front of the crew etc, but no cameras. Shatner turns to the crew and says, "someone give this guy an aspirin."

In one of his books, Shatner says Nemoy didn't talk to him for a week after that prank. In another he says it was fine. Nemoy himself tells the story (with grace and humor--no resentment) in an interview on godknowswhat DVD I have watched since I became obsessed with this show... I like it. I like some ribbing like that in life. Probably why I like Shatner!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I know we are still only in season 1 but I have to share:
    Bones:
    Chekov:

Last edited by What Exit?; 15 Feb 2010 at 10:10 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock is without question the best game ever invented.

With the possible exception of Star Trek: The Role Playing Game.
    Last edited by dread pirate jimbo; 15 Feb 2010 at 11:40 PM.
    Hell is other people.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock is without question the best game ever invented.

With the possible exception of Star Trek: The Role Playing Game.
    Dude, I played the first version of that. My rules book is signed by Walter Koenig from when he was on the USS Ranger for Star Trek IV The Voyage Home (the Whale Movie), that game was not really all that well made and did not work as well as even Traveler.

Now Star Fleet Battles was a fun war game. I haven't played it since I left the navy, but it was great.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Dude, I played the first version of that. My rules book is signed by Walter Koenig from when he was on the USS Ranger for Star Trek IV The Voyage Home (the Whale Movie), that game was not really all that well made and did not work as well as even Traveler.

Now Star Fleet Battles was a fun war game. I haven't played it since I left the navy, but it was great.
    Ooh! A Walter Koening signature! Sweet! I don't have an autograph by any of the Trek stars -- I've got a Daisy Duke poster signed by Catherine Bach and a Fixx poster signed by three members, but that's it.

The Role Playing game was definitely flawed, but I played it quite a bit with my gang of nerds. More significantly, though, I found the actual Trek-related info in the rules and several supplements to be an excellent resource, especially the complete blue prints of the Constituttion-class Starship and the Kilngon D-7 cruiser.

I haven't seen the re-mastered version of this episode, but it would be nice if they included a closing scene of the mine all filled with little baby Hortas chasing around and tunneling every which way.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I know we are still only in season 1 but I have to share:
    Bones:
    Chekov:

Love these! And what show is the "rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock" from? I watched the bit about Spock's conception too--hysterical!

The remastered collection that I have does not have baby Hortas, sadly. Sorry.
    Last edited by eleanorigby; 17 Feb 2010 at 07:09 PM.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

This was a GREAT episode. Kiddies, I saw it when it was first aired, that's how old I am. It remains one of the best things I ever saw on tv. Hokey sfx, yes. But still wonderful.

"No kill I" still brings tears to my eyes.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by eleanorigby View post
    Love these! And what show is the "rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock" from? I watched the bit about Spock's conception too--hysterical!

The remastered collection that I have does not have baby Hortas, sadly. Sorry.
    The Big Bang Theory, which I think you might enjoy eleanor. It is a very good sitcom. Won't win any Emmies but very funny and lots of Star Trek and Lord of the Rings references.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That's from the super-spectacularly awesome "Big Bang Theory" which airs Monday nights on (I think) CBS, right before "Two and a Half Men." If you aren't familiar with the show, your nerd status is hereby revoked until further notice.

No baby Hortas... Boo.
    Last edited by dread pirate jimbo; 17 Feb 2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Dammit. What Jim beat me to it...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sirrah, I am NOT a nerd. I am a nerd princess as evidenced by the admiration that nerds have had for me since puberty hit. Please make a note of it.

And I don't think I'll be watching it because 8 pm is when ST is on. So there!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sirrah, I am NOT a nerd. I am a nerd princess as evidenced by the admiration that nerds have had for me since puberty hit. Please make a note of it.

Actually it is on at 9:30 EST as it is after Two and Half (Which I can't stand). If you have netflix, you should give Big Bang Theory a try. It is extremely funny. The Xmas special from season 2 being one of the best episodes ever, up there with the great Turkey drop of WKRP almost. But of course only works if you have watched at least a dozen eps first.

I still have not re-watched the excellent ST Episode. I think the DVD gets here today.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You know, they have these machines now that can record one show whilst you watch another one. It's really quite amazing!

Also, I assume you can catch episodes on the CBS website. But yes, I'd give it a very, very strong recommendation -- one of the most consitently hilarious shows on TV right now.

And my apologies for suggesting you might be a nerd, although I personally think nerds are extremely cool and sexy.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You know, they have these machines now that can record one show whilst you watch another one. It's really quite amazing!
    Not only do they have such things, I hear tell that there are even boxed sets of TV programs that one can purchase for one's viewing pleasure! In fact, I have done so, with ST:TOS! So, there is no reason for me to watch it "live" on TV at all!

I will check it out next Monday. I'm in CST, so I'll have to find it.

And my apologies for suggesting you might be a nerd, although I personally think nerds are extremely cool and sexy.
    Gah! Noooo! I'll be a nerd with a capital N! Do girl nerds have an equivalent of a pocket protector?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm honestly not sure if there is a girl equivalent to the pocket protector... Maybe glasses? That seems to be the Hollywood standard for making characters look smarter -- Denise Richards wore glasses in a couple scenes when she played Christmas Jones, the nuclear physicist, in "The World Is Not Enough" IIRC. And she was totally credible as a smart person!

Incidentally, Big Bang Theory is also available on DVD and I have it on good authority that it can be rented at Blockbuster and other video rental places.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well I finally got to watch it last night. It was as good as I remember. Really it was a great episode and without fridge logic. The entire episode stands up within the framework of the show’s universe. It works well. The lines exchanged are great, up there with the best of such shows like Tribbles and Piece of the Action. The Horta is a fascinating creature and I know my first exposure to life not based on carbon. The solution in the end for the Hortas and humans to work together was perfect. Though it seems one sided for the humans, but so be it.

One note, my son was really hoping to watch a second episode last night. I think I have another young Trekkie in the making.

Registered
    Mar 2009

What is "fridge logic"? I feel I must turn in my Nerd card, not knowing all this stuff.

I did wear glasses until I was nine. Then I didn't for many, many years. Now I do again (for reading). That makes me.... Quasi-Nerdette!

I have now watched a few good eps of TNG. I watched the two parter with the intro of the Borg--very well done. There's hope yet for Picard's crew.

Next up in our line up is "Errand of Mercy", episode 26. I'll post about that one on Sunday.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sorry, I slipped in a very specific nerd phrase, it is from TVTropes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeLogic

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ah--I had been thinking along the lines of "cold-blooded logic", but yours makes more sense.
    Just because I like this emoticon.

+ Reply to thread