+ Reply to thread

Thread: Famous things you know OF but you've never seen/read/heard/whatever

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Famous things you know OF but you've never seen/read/heard/whatever

Myrnalene posted about the song "Lola" by the Kinks in some other thread, and it occurred to me that while I've heard of that song, I've never heard it. Which got me thinking about other songs that are famous but that I've never heard. The two that come to mind are "Wasting Away Again in Margaritaville" and "Stairway to Heaven".

So are there famous songs you haven't heard? Or other things? There's probably lots of famous movies any of us could name that we've never seen, or books we haven't read, but the level of commitment to listen to a song is really low, and yet I don't think I've ever heard any of those. Feel free to mention books or movies or places you've never been or foods you've never eaten if there's something surprising or interesting about it.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I can imagine never having heard "Lola", or "Margaritaville", but "Stairway"? Mind my asking roughly how old you are?

I've been a big fan of the NY Yankees for years, and I know they play Metallica's "Enter Sandman" when Mariano Rivera comes on to pitch, but I've never heard the song.

I've also never heard "Inna Gadda Davida" by Iron Butterfly either (although I've heard weird Al Yankovic sing an excerpt).

I've never heard pretty much any rap or hip hop song you care to mention. I've never played most video games, I'm not even familiar with most of the well known video game systems, past or present.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph View post
    Mind my asking roughly how old you are?
    26, and I know, it seems like I should have heard it somewhere but I'm positive I never have.

I've also never heard "Inna Gadda Davida" by Iron Butterfly either (although I've heard weird Al Yankovic sing an excerpt).
    Ha ha ha, seriously?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

First I was rocking to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in my playpen. Seriously. The upstairs neighbors had a teen-age son and he use to crank it up and by reports I was rocking out to it in my playpen.

As to Stairway, it has almost never appeared in movies or on TV. So I can see how Exy has not heard it. All he had to do was stay away from Classic Rock stations. Zep probably should lease it and the rest of their catalog for more movies.

Metallica's "Enter Sandman" I have heard many, many times at the Stadium. Here is the best way to here it: The only thing better than hearing it is hearing Frank Sinatra sing New York, New York after a win. They usually go together though.

I have never heard most of the all time country greats except for the many by Johnny Cash and Ray Charles. As an example: Hank Williams Sr.
    “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” never heard. I never even heard of Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys.

Registered
    Mar 2009

There are a whole lot of famous movies that I've never seen. If you've ever seen any of those "100 most classic movies" lists, I'm usually doing well if I've seen about 20 of them. And it's not that I don't enjoy movies, or anything. I will just choose to spend my time in other ways, if given the choice. (And I kind of hate to admit to this on this board, with all you movie buffs around!)

I also really don't know how anyone hasn't heard "Margaritaville". If only just as something played in the background somewhere.
    Last edited by Taumpy; 14 Feb 2010 at 09:26 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    26, and I know, it seems like I should have heard it somewhere but I'm positive I never have....
    No, that makes perfect sense to me. I've certainly heard it much less often on the radio the last 10-15 years, compared to say 25 years ago when you could pretty much turn on any radio, anywhere, and pick up a station that was playing it at that moment.

...Ha ha ha, seriously?
    Seriously. I don't know how it goes.

What Exit? I'm not going to click on the links...partly because we're at work and using excessive bandwith is frowned upon, but also partly because I want to see how long I can keep this going.

I've lived in the Boston area for decades but still haven't done much of the touristy stuff here. I was only in the Old North Church for the first time within the last year.

I think I've mentioned before I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life. My knowledge of it comes from the various parodies and sitcom ripoff versions that have been done over the years. It took me a long time to figure out they were all based on a real movie. Like the Metallica song I'm curious as to how long I can now keep this going.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I listened to Stairway to Heaven . . . I guess it was okay.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph View post
    I think I've mentioned before I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life.
    Aw, it really is a good film and surprisingly dark. Don't let the parodies, etc. fool you. It's one of my favorites.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I didn't hear Stairway til I was at least 20, that surprised people I met in college.

However, I can't think of a current example of a famous (Anglo-American) song I've heard of but not heard.

There are innumerable books I've heard of I've never bothered to read. There's not enough time in a life.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sad to say: Hamlet
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Also, Boston, the city.

Been through it on business, but never actually seen the place.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2010

Babylon 5

Registered
    Apr 2009

Scarface...

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Sad to say: Hamlet
    Seriously? That's interesting. I could understand never reading or seeing in on one's own. I might well not have ever done it either. But I think most people are forced to read it in high school at some point. (Although, for me, I've never read the classic pieces of high school lit The Great Gatsby and The Catcher in the Rye.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't know what the song Mmmbop sounds like. I know it was a big hit, but I have no clue.

I didn't read Wuthering Heights as assigned, but I passed the exam in 10th grade. The same with The Scarlet Letter. Both are a part of our culture so that I knew the stories and some of the characters.

(I hated assigned reading although I love to read. The assignment removed the joy for me.)
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've never heard the album Tapestry, but I feel like at some point I should give it a listen.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    I've never heard the album Tapestry, but I feel like at some point I should give it a listen.
    It is pretty good. I used to like it a lot more when it was newer to me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hogg.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene View post
    Aw, it really is a good film and surprisingly dark. Don't let the parodies, etc. fool you. It's one of my favorites.
    I really don't have anything against it, I probably will see it eventually. I just find it interesting to be personally unfamiliar with such an integral part of American popular culture.

I wasn't aware that EVERYONE had seen it until I was in my early 20s (which was the late 1980s). I haven't actively avoided it since then by any means, I just haven't sat down to watch it. For one thing I'm picky about my movie watching in that I like to see them uncut and unedited, so I'm not likely to see it during one of its many showings on regular commercial TV.

Didn't William F. Buckley Jr. use to brag about never having seen a baseball game (I think he did though, finally)?
    Last edited by Laughing Lagomorph; 16 Feb 2010 at 05:15 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've never seen the movies "American Pie" or "Old School" (for more than a couple minutes). I have a feeling I'm missing most of the pop culture references of at least the past ten years.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't think I've ever heard anything by the Jonas Brothers.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    I don't think I've ever heard anything by the Jonas Brothers.
    Ditto.

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    I got it about a year ago and I really like it. Was thinking of tracking it down on vinyl.

+ Reply to thread