+ Reply to thread

Thread: Running up the score

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Running up the score

A while ago I was rather surprised when I learned that in America running up the score is considered such a bad thing. We don't have a comparable rule. Obviously it isn't nice to be on the receiving end of it, but what is the winning side supposed to do?

Of course it is only natural that an athlete or team who is comfortably ahead will slow down a bit, but holding off intentionally is patronizing. The most respectful way to treat your opponents is to fight them to the best of your ability.

What do you think? Would you make a difference between professional sports and children's school sports?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I agree that the most respectful way to treat your opponent is to fight them the best you can. If it becomes obvious that one team cannot win (such as you're looking at a score of 40-0 with a minute left in the game or something), then go ahead and call the game for the winner because it's silly to drag it out to the end. But up until that point? Keep going full throttle.

I wouldn't see a difference between professional sports or children here either.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Feirefiz View post
    A while ago I was rather surprised when I learned that in America running up the score is considered such a bad thing. We don't have a comparable rule. Obviously it isn't nice to be on the receiving end of it, but what is the winning side supposed to do?

Of course it is only natural that an athlete or team who is comfortably ahead will slow down a bit, but holding off intentionally is patronizing. The most respectful way to treat your opponents is to fight them to the best of your ability.

What do you think? Would you make a difference between professional sports and children's school sports?
    To me it is a huge difference between pros and kids. When a High School team or little league team completely drubs the opposing team, it is cruel. When Pros do it, it is not as big a deal to me. But in America, they almost always start removing starts at least. This serves two purposes, it slows down the scoring (most of the time) and gives the reserves and younger players a chance to play while resting the older everyday vets.

+ Reply to thread