+ Reply to thread

Thread: Free Credit Report

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Free Credit Report

So I went to FreeCreditReport.gov and it sent me to allcreditreport.com for my yearly free credit report. That then guided me to TransUnion, where I tried to get a free credit report. All I saw was attempts to upsell me and never got my free credit report.

What happened? How do I get my free credit report from them?
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am pretty sure you have to request your free annual report in writing...by mail

That said...someone remind me...why do we need these things? How did we get along without them?

I'm on my third mortgage and have no clue what my credit score is.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I think people need it who have reason to believe their credit may not be so good. And now that credit is cheap and easy, some people like to check it to be sure there's nothing on there that's wrong/fraudulent/etc. In the old days, you didn't know what your credit score was until you tried to apply for a loan and they turned you down.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Well, I think people need it who have reason to believe their credit may not be so good. And now that credit is cheap and easy, some people like to check it to be sure there's nothing on there that's wrong/fraudulent/etc. In the old days, you didn't know what your credit score was until you tried to apply for a loan and they turned you down.
    In the old days, at least in Chicago, when you applied for a mortgage you had to explain why you had a Marshall Field's card you never used.

The answer was always the same, "For the free Frango Mints."

See, Fields would give you a box for applying.

(I actually had to write a letter saying exactly that.)
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 09 Feb 2010 at 02:16 PM.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    In the old days, at least in Chicago, when you applied for a mortgage you had to explain why you had a Marshall Field's card you never used.

The answer was always the same, "For the free Frango Mints."

See, Fields would give you a box for applying.

(I actually had to write a letter saying exactly that.)
    Ah ha ha! I never wrote such a letter, but I indeed had a Field's card for that exact reason. Wonder where it is now.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

annualcreditreport.com is apparently the only legit one.

+ Reply to thread