+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: France bans full face veils for Muslims

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    But most banks will not serve anyone wearing a motorcycle helmet. Why is that?
    Will they serve someone wearing a scarf over their face when it's snowing hard?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    Will they serve someone wearing a scarf over their face when it's snowing hard?
    In general, people unwind the scarf in a the nice warm bank when they are out of the snow, otherwise it is too uncomfortable.

As for the situation where they cannot see any of the person, I don't know whether they can ask the person to remove the scarf or not. I don't know whether it also makes the tellers unhappy having to serve someone who they cannot see due to being totally covered.

It also doesn't answer my question.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Also, the French have now passed the law fully banned the niqab in public with it being ratifed in September by the Senate.

Anyone female caught wearing the niqab will be given a €150 fine and a course in good citizenship.

I wonder how much they will enforce the law.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit
    In general, people unwind the scarf in a the nice warm bank when they are out of the snow, otherwise it is too uncomfortable.
    I'm sure people do most of the time, but I'm not sure everyone always does. If it's really cold outside, and the bank is a little chilly due to people coming in and out all day, and there's no wait for a teller just to do a quick deposit or withdrawal, I can certainly picture someone not bothering to take off their scarf. Wouldn't be me, since I never bother with a scarf anyway, but it's not hard for me to imagine.

As for the situation where they cannot see any of the person, I don't know whether they can ask the person to remove the scarf or not. I don't know whether it also makes the tellers unhappy having to serve someone who they cannot see due to being totally covered.
    I don't either, so it looks like it's neither of us could make any legitimate argument that banks won't serve customers whose faces are covered.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Also, the French have now passed the law fully banned the niqab in public with it being ratifed in September by the Senate.

Anyone female caught wearing the niqab will be given a €150 fine and a course in good citizenship.

I wonder how much they will enforce the law.
    Any other countries in Europe that seem to be following the French lead? I thought I heard Switzerland was considering such measures.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 14 Jul 2010 at 10:34 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

For one, I actually don't see doctors, football players, etc. wearing a mask in every public situation year-round. And while I've never been there, I don't think Chicago is that much like Richard Scarry's Busytown either.

The cold-weather issue is nonsensical as well since I'd find it hard to believe that anyone wearing cold weather gear completely obscuring their face (and while I don't live in Chicago, I don't see such things except on a ski slope) would not comply with a request to reveal their face.

At any rate it doesn't prove her point - if a full-face veil is deemed a security risk, a full-face ski mask or motorcycle helmet is just as much of one. The law may well be written to be specifically discriminatory to Muslim coverings but that doesn't defeat this point.

I actually find the security argument compelling but only in situations where it might be important (e.g. government buildings, airports). I think the ban on the niqab in all public places is not a good idea. It's just not a real problem for Western societies. (Elizabeth Smart may disagree, but realistically that is a very isolated case).

+ Reply to thread