+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tennis Australian Open 2010

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Tennis Australian Open 2010

Anyone else following this?

Is it going to be another Federer vs Nadal final or is someone else going to step up.

The quarter finals are
    Federer v Davydenko
    Djokovic v Tsonga
    Roddick v Cilic
    Nadal v Murray

I reckon Federer is going to walk through the top half of the draw, but I can see Murray making it through the bottom half, although he is going to have to beat Nadal and probably Roddick to make it.

Federer to beat Murray in the final though.

As for the ladies, there are still only a few to choose from.

S Williams v Zvonareva or Azarenka
    Li v V Williams
    Henin v Petrova
    Zheng v Kirilenko

I can't see anyone other than one of the Williams sisters making it from the top half or Justine Henin from the lower half. I would expect Henin to win in the final, which would be a remarkable comeback from her "retirement".
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Watching Roddick-Cilic now. It doesn't look good for Andy in the fifth set, and he managed to really fight to get there.

Federer-Davydenko could be a real challenge. If Federer's going to lose to anyone, it'll be him.

I don't know if I'll stay up for Nadal-Murray, as good as it should be. Fed will beat anyone on that side, but whoever wins that one will get to the final, and win if Federer loses.

Serena will probably be the Williams in the final. They had a tough doubles match but probably will go on to win there.
    It's interesting that the two on the other half are both unseeded. I really like the way Zheng looked. I'll be pulling for her, but she is the underdog.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well Cilic is through in 5 sets to face the winner of Murray or Nadal.

Nadal is already a break up in the first.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, what a match,

Murray goes through after Nadal retires in the third though he was two sets up.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That was a weird thing, what with the fireworks break and all. You'd think the tournament would plan what to do with the players better.

Now Venus is gone, and more surprisingly Serena is down 4-0 in the second. I'd be only too happy to see the Williams sisters go. Although if I can credit Serena with one thing, it'd be the ability to come back from something like this if she really wills it. I'm not really seeing that from her, though.

An all-Chinese final would be such a strange thing (though I'm betting on Henin to win the whole thing now).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well Serena is out but Venus is still in. I agree that Henin is still likely to win it all though.

I am keeping up with the Federer vs Davydenko game wondering if it will go to five sets. What happened to Federer in the first?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Li-Williams was a really good match. Li seemed really mentally stable, but then again she made all those errors.

Looks like Serena W. vs. Henin. Hope Henin mops the floor with her; she was pretty good against her pre-retirement.

Hopefully you don't have commentators over there making remarkably stupid statements. One was saying how it was so unfortunate that they had scheduled Serena to play doubles later in the day. And then during Henin's match someone said, "They should make Henin play a doubles match after this to even it out. Poor Serena."

Yes, poor Serena! How horrible that they made her sign up to play both Singles and Doubles. Of course if Henin wins they'll likely harp on that point again. Serena's the one who barely manages to keep her ranking by only playing hard in the tournaments she feels like, so it's only her fault if she can't make it all the way through. (And it's not like getting to the finals is a poor showing.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well it's a Henin vs V.Williams final. I'm still predicting a Henin win though.

I'm following the feed on the internet, so I get to miss the stupid statements like that.

As for the men's contest it's one set all between Murray and Cilic. I bet they are glad that they have the extra day off over Federer or Tsonga. I wonder if Tsonga will be able to beat Federer or if Federer is just too good at this point.

This also amused me:

The Women's Wheelchair Doubles - Semifinals between
    Florence Gravellier(FRA) / Aniek Van Koot(NED) defeating
    Jiske Griffioen(NED)[1] / Korie Homan(NED)[1]

was described as a Walkover.

Registered
    Feb 2009

And Murray takes it in four to go through to the final.

He had a slow first set, but looked good passed that. I hope he doesn't let his performance slip in the final.

Registered
    Feb 2009

And Federer is through in straight sets. He looked really good out there and I guess must be favourite to claim his next Grand Slam title.

So, the finals look like this.

Henin v V.Williams

Federer v Murray

My predictions are still on: Henin and Federer to claim the prizes.

Other good news: Laura Robson got through to the final of the girls singles.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The first good women's final in a major in a few years; Henin had to try a bit too hard at the start and couldn't keep it up in the end. I look forward to Wimbledon. This year, I think will be the start of an interregnum as the Williams sisters pass their prime. There's no clear future star yet, and maybe there will be a back-and-forth title holder for a while.

Federer's win was a foregone conclusion; was there any hype in Britain about Murray having a shot (for the first time in "150,000 years") or were people just happy to see him in the final?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by parzival View post
    The first good women's final in a major in a few years; Henin had to try a bit too hard at the start and couldn't keep it up in the end. I look forward to Wimbledon. This year, I think will be the start of an interregnum as the Williams sisters pass their prime. There's no clear future star yet, and maybe there will be a back-and-forth title holder for a while.
    Don't forget this is only Henin's second tournament, so to reach the final is a great achievement. She still doesn't have a world ranking, although that should have changed by the next major.

The biggest problem with women's tennis is a lack of any major personalities coming through the ranks. The current bunch are a bit too interchangeable.

Quote Originally posted by parzival View post
    Federer's win was a foregone conclusion; was there any hype in Britain about Murray having a shot (for the first time in "150,000 years") or were people just happy to see him in the final?
    Lots of the paper's were saying Murray had a chance, and to be honest he did. However, playing the game expecting Federer to make mistakes is not going to win him a Grand Slam title. If he had played as he did against Nadal, and gone for his chances, it would have been a different match. Instead he waited and it cost him.

However, as Federer is the best tennis player ever (Possibly Rod Lever excepted) and played superbly, it's not something to be ashamed of.

Unlike Women's tennis, at least the Men's is interesting.

+ Reply to thread